Where is the advising center located?
The Mathematics, Physics, and Astronomy Advising Center is located in the Physics, Math, and Astronomy buildingl, PMA, room 4.101.

When / Why should I see an advisor?
Advising for the next semester begins after the 12th class day, and is available on an ongoing basis, not just during registration. All MPA majors  must meet with an advisor in person or submit an advising worksheet before they can register for classes.  Advisors are available all year round to assist with degree planning and course selection, to help students who are struggling academically, to provide information about UT's numerous resources, and to help students facing non-academic problems.

How can I get into a course that is full/closed?
Advisors CAN NOT add students to a course that is already full. Add yourself to the automated wait list option if available, and keep trying to add the course during all the add/drop access periods. Being on a wait list is not a guarantee for getting into a class, and advisors have no way of predicting your chances of getting a class via the wait list, therefore it is necessary to have an alternative class planned as a back-up.  Students are encouraged to attend a course from the first day to stay abreast on the material.  Students attending a course they are not registered for should continue attending all their other classes as well, in the event that permission to add the closed course is not granted.

Where do I go to change my major?
If you want to declare Mathematics, Physics or Astronomy as your major, please refer to the Internal Transfer website.  If you simply wish to change from one MPA option to another, make an appointment with the appropriate MPA advisor.  If you wish to change majors out of MPA and into another major within the College of Natural Sciences, set up an appointment with an advisor for the major you wish to declare.  To change into another college, contact the dean's office of the college into which you wish to be admitted.  Some colleges (including Business, Communications, and Engineering) require new students to attend an internal transfer information meeting before they can speak to an advisor.  If you think you want to change majors but aren't sure to what, make an appointment to meet with your current advisor  or stop by the Career Exploration Center in Jester.

Can I drop one class after the drop deadline?
Yes,  Undergraduate students who may not have urgent, substantiated, nonacademic reasons will be allowed to drop a single class or withdraw from the University after the deadline to drop or withdraw for academic reasons under the provisions of the One-Time-Exception (OTE).

How can I complete a minor?
The College of Natural Sciences does not have a minor program.  If you are in another major and wish to have Mathematics, Physics, or Astronomy as your minor, discuss this with your major advisor.

Can I take classes at ACC or by correspondence while also taking classes at UT?
Being enrolled simultaneously at more than one college or university, including through UT Extension, is called concurrent enrollment. In the College of Natural Sciences, summer concurrent enrollment is permitted without conditions. Concurrent enrollment is permitted in limited circumstances during fall and spring semesters. You do not need advance approval, if you are registered in-residence at UT for a minimum of 9 hours and you want to concurrently enroll in a non-mathematics or non-science course. In addition, you do not need advance approval, if you are registered in residence at UT for a minimum of 9 hours and you want to concurrently enroll in a mathematics or science course through UT Extension. However, UT Extension will not allow you to take a mathematics or science course through UT Extension if you have already enrolled in it twice at UT. If you feel you have an academically sound reason to seek an exception to the fall and spring conditions, ask your advisor to initiate a petition prior to enrollment. The Dean's Office will make a final decision and notify you through the Natural Sciences Secure Web Services.

Should I take math or science classes over the summer at a community college?
It is strongly recommended that Natural Sciences students take all their math and science courses at the University.  If you are pre-med or preparing for any other health-related career, and are worried about how this may impact your candidacy for professional schools, you must discuss this with your Health Professions Advisor.

Do I have to take a foreign language?
In order to match other B.S. degress in the College of Natural Sciences, the Department of Mathematics will allow the requirement to be met in one of the following ways:

  1. Second semester-level proficiency in a foreign language

  2. First-semester-level proficiency in a foreign language and a 3-hour culture course in the same language area*

  3. Two 3-hour culture courses chosen from one foreign culture category*  (your Academic Advisor will submit a petition sometime before you graduate.

*Foreign culture courses must be chosen from an approved list.

Can I take a course pass/fail?
You should not take a course pass/fail if you need that class to fulfill a degree requirement. Courses taken pass/fail count towards your total number of residence hours, but nothing else. They do not count towards your GPA (unless an F is earned) and do not fulfill prerequisite requirements.  Only electives should be taken pass/fail, unless you plan on repeating the course later for a letter grade.  College of Natural Sciences students may only count 16 pass/fail hours toward their degree, and may only take two courses pass/fail per semester.  

For the 2014-16 catalog, College of Natural Sciences BA students may only count 16 pass/fail hours toward their degree, and may only take two courses pass/fail per semester.  BSA and BS students may only count 6 pass/fail hours toward their degree, and may only take two courses pass/fail per semester.

If I repeat a course, will the old grade go away?
No.  Both grades will remain on your transcript and both will be averaged into your GPA.  If you need to repeat a course to bring up your grade to meet prerequisite or major requirements (you must make a C- or better in all courses counting towards the major), that is fine.  Students in the College of Natural Sciences are not permitted to repeat a course for which they have already earned a C- or better.  In addition, no student may enroll in the same Natural Sciences course more than twice without permission from their advisor, therefore students taking a Natural Sciences course for a second time need to be aware it may be their last chance to pass that course.

What courses are considered upper division?
Courses with the last two digits between 20 and 79 (ex: M 325K, M 341) are upper division courses. Those with the last two digits lower than 20 are lower division (ex: M 408N).  The requirement for upper-division standing is 60 hours of credit.

How can I find an upper division writing component?
In the course schedule, any upper division course that says "Contains a Substantial Writing Flag" will fulfill the upper division writing flag requirement. Every course schedule lists all the writing flag courses offered that semester from every academic department (click on the "Writing Flags" link in the sidebar). Writing flag courses can overlap with other degree requirements.

Do both my writing component courses have to be upper division?
They CAN be, but they do not have to be.  Students have the option of fulfilling one of their writing flag requirements with a lower division course.

How/When do I apply for graduation?
Students apply for graduation during their final semester at UT before the mid-semester deadline (same as the Q-drop deadline). The application is on the web at: https://utdirect.utexas.edu/ns/.

August graduates who want to be in the May ceremony but will not finish all their degree requirements (12 hours or less remaining) until the summer, should complete the Application to Participate in Commencement Ceremony (Walker Application) during the spring semester, and then complete the Graduation Application during the summer semester.

** Students completing their UT degree requirements at another institution must apply to graduate "In Absentia."

Where can I get a list of tutors for math or physics
Send an email to MPA Advising or call (512) 471-0900.

Can I register for prerequisite enforced math classes that I don't have the prerequisite for yet?
Prerequisites for math classes are enforced on the back end so students will be allowed to enroll in courses before they may actually have the prerequisite on record. Please expect SANs from the prerequisite team that will note the due date for showing proof of the prerequisite and instructions for providing said proof. The SANs will detail the prerequisite officer office hours starting in the August time frame for fall semesters and January time frame for spring semesters.

There will be no exceptions to the due dates. Please follow the instructions notated in the SANs regarding the prerequisite officer’s office hours and methods for providing the proof of the prerequisites while the Office of Admissions is processing your transfer transcript.